Wanderlust

Did you ever have one?
Before the world,
Weighs you down with worries?
The need to travel and escape,
To explore the horizon.

When I was a child,
I marvel at worldly stories,
Lands so cool, your body breaks,
Lands so hot, you can fry an egg,
It started then,
My wanderlust.

I continue to grow,
From a child to adult,
Together with my wanderlust,
Until finally!
I, an adult, can travel,
I can do what a child cannot,
I can place my feet on foreign soil.

So, I went,
Armed with papers,
Of various uses,
To the four corners of Earth,
Expecting so much,
And the world does not disappoint.

I met people,
Who smile no matter what,
I met insects,
As beautiful as they are deadly,
I ate food,
So bizarre that an imprint is left on my taste buds,
I saw buildings,
Filled with a million stories to tell,
I embraced nature,
The same way my ancestors did.

All journeys,
Begins and ends,
So does mine,
And so I returned home,
As a different person,
Transformed.

Comments

  1. Very nice. Thank you for sharing. I re read this again and went through a journey myself, managed to glimpse the different sights and taste the different tastes, all of which you evoked in simple words. Yet these experiences which are depicted are themselves complex and personal, yet common and universal. The hint of hope at the end of the poem made me feel hopeful too. What is life without eternity at the end of this seemingly everlasting journey of highs and lows, confusion and mire? What is life without a sense of belonging or a home to return to? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts